Personal Website Visual Effect #
I want to add some kind of visual effect to my personal website but I’m not sure what I want. I might be constraining myself a bit too much. Some of my immediate thoughts are:
- Low processing power. Should run find on almost anyone’s laptop
- Shouldn’t need interaction - people shouldn’t miss that the visual effect happened because they didn’t tap the screen or something like that
- Shouldn’t compromise readability - the content is still the most important thing.
- Should happen on every page. people should experience it even if they don’t see the front page.
- I’m a little tempted towards some of the generative art paradigms, but I do find myself leaning away from that given that there is A Look that is really prevalent and I want to expand beyond that if possible.
- i’d like for there to be some kind of element that makes it feel live rather than like a video that’s playing in the background. there’s a few ways to do this - start with a simple background like a solid color that slowly populates with lines or dots or something - This is very typical generative art. Don’t love that
I think I’m going to be a little bit boring and play around with having a hydra sketch as the background. Dan did some really fanastic chromatic aberraction visuals with his code that I’d be interested in trying out.